Thursday, 6 October 2016
Collaborative Learning
There is really no end to the list of resources that educators have at their fingertips for Collaborative Learning, thanks to the internet. For example, the image above, generated using Wordle, is an example of Collaborative Learning that can be used in the classroom. While I generated my Wordle using information related to my Genius Hour Project, a collaborative learning Wordle could be something generated by having every member of a class insert a word or sentence related to a topic so that a word cloud could be made. It would be a good way to see what common words or phrases students use in terms of a given topic, and it would create a sense of cohesion so that the whole class is able to contribute to it.
Another really cool tool for Collaborative Learning that we used this week is Today's Meet. This is a website that allows for Backchannel discussion during lessons or in-school activities. Students can contribute to a lesson by posting their thoughts, feelings and questions about a topic, and classmates are able to see these posts and respond. For example, if a student has a question about something a teacher is discussing in class, they could post to Today's Meet and have another classmate answer them in real time. Also, instead of having student's raise their hands to answer questions or share reflections, a teacher could ask students to post to Today's Meet. I would have loved to use this tool when I was in elementary school. Participation was never a strong point for me, as I was quite shy. When teachers asked questions in class, I usually knew the answer, but was too shy to raise my hand and share in front of the whole class. Had Today's Meet been used, I would have been able to share my thoughts and knowledge, as it is less intimidating to make a post, than to speak in front of peers. I would love to use Today's Meet in a class of my own one day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment