Thursday, 22 September 2016

Genius Hour Research

It looks like YouTube is going to be my new best friend for the next few weeks. My Genius Hour project seeks to discover if sound has curing properties. So far, I've learned that hundreds of thousands of people believe it does - and they're convinced that ASMR is the key to this theory. YouTube is populated with countless ASMR videos, designed to utilize sound for relaxation purposes. I've set up a channel where I will interact with YouTube's robust ASMR Community, in order to experience sound's healing power, and to create some healing sounds of my own. I'm also interested in engaging both ASMR-tists (ASMR content creators) and ASMR listeners in discussion, so that I can learn about their personal experiences with the phenomenon.

I've subscribed to the channels of various ASMR-tists so that I can looks for patterns and trends in successful ASMR videos. My next step will be  to create a video of my own that explains what ASMR is, and why I am researching it. I will also need to gain subscribers of my own, so that I can engage with them in discussion about what works and what is not helpful in creating sounds with healing properties. Hopefully I can interest enough of the YouTube community, so that I can get a decent amount of feedback on my experiment.

I have been listening to ASMR content every night before bed, and I'm already noticing undeniable results. It's much easier for me to take mind off of any worries when an ASMR video is playing quietly as I lie in bed. Something about listening to the mundane sounds of a whispering ASMR-tist's nail polish collection is oddly relaxing. I could certainly see myself reaching for my headphones in the future, when I am stressed over assignments and due dates. Furthermore, I fall asleep much faster when listening to ASMR, as opposed to when I simply rest in silence. I'm becoming convinced that I'm on to something. Some people take pills to cure insomnia, but maybe all they need is a calming voice whispering in their ears as they close their eyes. Or at the very least, it could certainly compliment any prescribed medication.

I plan on filming and uploading a video to YouTube this week, so stay tuned for my post!

No comments:

Post a Comment